Friday, November 7, 2008

A change in the weather


I began the week wearing short sleeves and delighting in the gift of sunny, 70-degree weather bestowed upon us by the weather gods. Now I am watching as clouds darken the sky and friends to the west update their facebook status' saying, "I can't believe it - snow!!" In a few short hours I myself will be heading west. I wonder what winter wonderland awaits?

In any case, the fire danger is low. (I know you were concerned.)

One of my favorite things to do is to walk during a snowfall. My old roommate and I did that a few times. We learned, however, it is not as pleasant and peacefull to walk during what could be deemed blizzard conditions. A nice snow that isn't too deep is just right.

There's just something about watching the snow fall in the streetlights, and the sound of silence on most every street. The world slows down when snow falls. Snow covers the world like a blanket. It makes everything more beautiful. It equalizes things. When we're covered in snow, we can't see our differences as easily. Houses all look the same. Cars become unrecognizable mounds of icy powder. It brings us together, even though it keeps many of us inside. There's a certain kind of kinship in the snow.

Right now it is cold, dark and rainy. (Ah, winter in northern California...) Soon it will be snowing. Probably not the big fluffy snow that's going to stick, but snow nonetheless.

After an autumn partisanship and division, it will be nice to be united once again this winter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I see what you're getting at there (at the end), and I don't know that winter accomplishes that.